EURY'S SONG
This 2D mobile platformer was developed in Unity with two programmers on the team.

PROJECT DETAILS

Eury's Song is a 2D mobile platformer designed for Android tablets. The game follows the story of Eurydice after Orpheus left her behind in Hades. Eury travels through the levels of hell to earn herself a place in Elysium, a flowery meadow reserved for only the bravest of souls. As she travels, she collects golden apples that shield her and dropped notes to play music from her lover's lyre. Beware: hell is a dangerous place, and Eury will have to be swift and clever to reach her eternal paradise. This project was developed with a team of seven, two of which were programmers, in three months of development with three daily hours of work time.

PROJECT SPECS

* Role: Programmer
* Programming Team Size: 2
* Engine: Unity
* Language: C#
* Development Time: 3 months (3 hour days)

PROGRAMMING WORK

Since only two programmers worked on this game, we were responsible for every aspect of the game. The core mechanics of the game included platforming, collecting objects, and weaving music into the gameplay. The majority of our work centered around game feel. I developed a system of save points using the Singleton pattern, a camera system that allowed level designers to choose the level of zoom and position of a camera, and a balanced system of lives/health/death. We also developed a music-playing minigame in early sprints that was ultimately cut due to time constraints. This project helped us learn how to work as a studio. We practiced agile methodologies, we learned new project management tools and development software, and we developed workflow pipelines and good communication habits. We were able to create a game that we felt passionate about making and that we are now proud to have developed.


POST-MORTEM

What Went Well: My teammate and I often participated in pair programming sessions, in which both of us would discuss how to implement a mechanic, both of us would program different functions on the same document in Visual Studio, and we could quickly resolve bugs together. This flow helped keep us productive and knowledgeable about all the game systems. We also documented religiously in order to help level designers utilize our systems with minimal blockers.

What Went Wrong: If I was struggling on a perfecting a mechanic, such as the camera movement or the slippery collisions, I tended to A) be self-conscious about how long it was taking me and B) grow more determined to solve the problem myself. The amount of work needed to get the desired outcome for the music mini game was not achievable within our timeframe. I wish that we had spent less time on the music minigame in the first couple sprints, since we would have an even better final product now.

Lessons For Next Time: I learned to step back and find a new perspective rather than stubbornly attempting to bulldoze through complicated tasks. I also learned to always say "I can try" rather than "I can't".